Sunday, December 5, 2010

Another messiah

Overall, things went pretty well considering. Since they cancelled the rehearsal (snow) we were contacted via phone about coming 2 hours earlier before the gig. Previously we were supposed to come at 5 to touch a couple of things before a 7pm concert. So everyone was coming at 3, and we'd have a regular rehearsal from 3-5. Except.

No one called the trumpets/timpani players! This would be their only rehearsal, and they were all set to come at 5:30, the "manager" got all defensive and it was kind of terrible, but they did fine. They all got there by 5:20, we ran the tpt stuff and were done by 5:30. I don't get the natural trumpet thing though - our tpt players are terrific and can play anything on all the various modern trumpets. I get that it is fun to have a challenge, but this takes me right back to jr hi. Oh well.

The tenor soloist was terribly sick and we had a sub, he did great (always a relief!). The other soloists were our "usual" ones and all did a bang up job, fun to just sit back during the arias and enjoy! Our usual 2nd oboist couldn't do this concert so I had my friend M play, we don't get to play together enough anymore. It was fun and we did get to grab a quick bite between rehearsal and concert. She is playing 1st oboe with the Expensive Private College and they are doing the Brahms Vln on Monday (big oboe solo)! She will be fab I'm sure, wish I could go.

I have finally succumbed to illness - REALLY sore throat. I can't even talk this am, and I feel terrible. I have one more WC this week, but then 2 days off.

No comments: