Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Time flies

Opera was great last night - our 2nd clarinet wasn't there though, we are kinda worried about her as she has just been diagnosed with parkinsons (sp?). Butterfly is LONG - as all operas seem to be; not that hard, a few spots to deal with but just staying really alert for that long! Even in orchestral stuff it seems like we get more places to regroup - but I feel like I have to be "on" the whole 3 hours for this.

Sunday will be the sitzprobe - someone asked me what that meant so I looked it up - a first, rough rehearsal of an opera or musical stageplay with singers and musicians, but without acting, scenery, or costumes. That's what I thought! But it had an Etymological Note: German for ‘seated test’ or ‘sitting trial.’ My HS German should have told me that, but I couldn't dredge it up from the depths. Anyway, can't wait although I hope everyone gets a chance to listen to the music. The problem with doing opera here is the NO ONE is familiar with it - there are no real companies and exposure is really limited. We have to drive over 300 miles to get to a company with an actual season (there are two feuding companies here that each put on one full opera per year). At least we are helping the situation!

No comments: