Thursday, November 4, 2010

Is this normal?

Back to "normal" after WSS, I guess! I thought things would be all calm and serene, but so far that is not the case. Partly due to White Christmas horning in already - first rehearsal this Sat! And there is a LOT of sax, I really should look at it. I guess I am happy I have this monster (6week) run to keep me occupied, I am very sad about orchestra right now.

We have a local arranger (he does a lot of stuff for B movies and cruise ships) who offered to arrange our whole Xmas concert for free! This is wonderful news since we have no money, and it is tough to put on a fun xmas concert with the same old stuff every year. So. He is very late getting arrangements to us - and as they are coming (via email) piece after piece has NO OBOE. And there are no bassoons in the whole concert. And only 2 horns. Etc.

This is so disappointing - we have worked with this guy before and I was afraid this would happen. The arrangements - which I haven't heard, only seen a few wind parts - look awfully jr high, if you know what I mean. The flutes (doubled), clarinets (doubled) and oboe (thank god just me) are all exact unison parts for 2 arrangements. That is at least 5 people playing unison for the entire piece. Not what I'd orchestrate if I had access to a full orchestra. *sigh*

No comments: