Friday, November 7, 2008

Orchestra players committee

Just in case you missed my blog, I will inundate you with news today!
Yesterday was orchestra - lots of Xmas Crap (which I can say in my own blog) we are actually doing a version of the Nutcracker by Duke Ellington - NOT my cuppa, KWIM? It is actually kinda hard, and the whole "sometimes play the 8ths swung, sometimes not and just figure it out by the sound" is confusing. After a couple rehearsals I'm sure it will come together, but we (the strings and oboes) are out of our comfort zone! I just want to play the REAL Nutcracker - sorry, but I just love it. Probably because I haven't had to play it 8million times. Oh well, not to be this year.

Also the same crappy Xmas sing-a-long. We have a fabulous singer coming in from Oregon, she has done the leads for the opera a couple of years, lovely voice. The only Xmas piece I am excited about a little is Xmas at the Movies, which is a medley and one of the parts is "Making Xmas" by Danny Elfman (my hero) from The Nightmare Before Xmas. There is also something from Home Alone and some other modern Xmasy movies. Also kinda hard, but nothing practice can't fix!

The big piece is Sibelius 2, which by weird coincidence, the Big Symphony is doing this weekend. So we're going on Sunday, hopefully to be inspired and not crushed by our incompetence. Last night was not my best rehearsal ever. I need to hit the reed table. And I HOPE people actually listen to this piece, they did pass out CDs yesterday (of that and the Ellington) so IF we use them that should help. I just hate when people obviously have NO IDEA how a hugely popular piece like this goes. And then I make some stupid mistake and I am humbled in my arrogance. We all make mistakes! The bassoonist sounded great on her huge thing in the 2nd mvt though, I think things are really better now the loud complaining person is not there.

After rehearsal the players committee met briefly, mostly to pick a time for our big repertoire meeting, which we did (tentatively)! Getting 8 schedules to match for a several hour block is hard. Also found out we will have to have 1-2 concerts in a different venue next year, they are reaming us on the price. It is a fabulous place to play - and if we leave those weekends are gone forever. So if you have pieces that would be great to play make a suggestion! Of course oboe intense pieces are best. And we are trying to stay away from rentals and piece that require lots of extra staff, but make any suggestion you like - I'd love to hear what you think!

No comments: