Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Long time no post

Wow, it has been a busy time! Last week orchestra was pretty emotional for some, due to the "relieving" of position. It was for the best. But still sad - and no one was filling the seat, although I understand someone is coming in a few weeks. There is speculation that we may be paying the new person, which is currently not usually done for the second chairs (sadly, they are working on it). Of course this adds to the resentment, but it is just a rumor.

The other great thing was DD talked to a key low brass player who was really not cutting it, and he offered to step down. Classy. It was really time, we had to rewrite the part for the last concert because he just couldn't play it (Enigma Variations). The new guy is great - and I hope the "old" guy will still play elsewhere, he is a really nice person. This is such hard stuff.

We have got contracts, but the volunteer ones are pretty loose (section players). And of course if someone is consistently not playing the part that is grounds for dismissal (after various alerts and warnings). So I think it is good - I guess if I was just not cutting it I would want someone to be straight with me before everyone in the orchestra was groaning inside every time I played.

No comments: