Monday, March 17, 2008

Solo and Ensemble

My lone student had her first experience at solo contest on Saturday. I was somewhat dismayed to find she actually requested an 8am time, but it worked out great! We got to warm up in the room she would be judged in, parking was abundant, and I was all done by 8:20! She was doing the Schumann Romance #1, quite a test of endurance for her, so for a warmup we "sang" the part while the accompanist played. I think that worked very well, since it helped her get "in the mood" (and rhythm) without blowing her chops. She played the best she has ever done, and the judge was very nice, although I haven't seen the comment sheets yet. His verbal comments were things I had been working on with her, pitch and "setting" the beat, I'm not sure what to call that but where you move so the accompanist knows where you are (conducting in a way). I was very proud of how well she did.

After that I went into town as my friend was up from Pullman to sing in the chorale with the symphony (Daphnis and Chloe). It was a miracle of timing, I met them at their hotel and we walked to the dress rehearsal in the fabulous Fox Theater, then I got to hear the Ravel, didn't stay for the rest but that was wonderful! After my chorus friends and I went to "girl lunch" and shopping - I got the best jacket to conduct in which I wore Palm Sunday to direct the bells. We also had lovely coffee and lots of visiting. After the bells played (Sunday) I rehearsed the Bach aria we will play on Good Friday, it will be great - very morose (#21 if you care).

No comments: