Thursday, March 20, 2008

tuba Easter

It has been a long time since I've played the tuba for anything real - but they needed a middle voice for the braas ensemble at church. I'm actually going to play the euphonium, the DOMs husband plays tuba in the big symphony, so he is amazing; but even more amazing is that he loaned me his lovely Miraphone euphonium!It is by far the best brass instrument I have ever played, too bad I have no chops right now. We are playing 4 hymns on Sunday, it should be great.

Sadly, Good Friday is before Easter - I am trying to praactice euphonium every day, but it is a much tighter embouchure than tuba so it effects my oboe chops - and I am playing big Bach stuff on the GF service! Always a million things. I'm not that worried about it, but one must be careful playing Bach (chop killer). I think I will try playing the Laubin since it seems to have a darker tone than the Loree. Kinda fun to have two. '

Speaking of Bach, we just had our first PDQ Bach rehearsal, this is going to be a blast! We are playing Oedipus Tex, (almost opera), Schleptet, and various other things I can't remember names of - I think I play everything except Fanfare for the Common Cold. Here are flyers - I can't wait for this one!
http://www.cdasymphony.org/pdqbach.html

No comments: