Thursday, April 5, 2007

running around

Yesterday was the first day in a long time that I didn't play the Mozart at all. Didn't intend for that to happen, but hopefully it won't be a big problem! I think I just got burnt out. So instead I drove all over getting clarinet music (for ww5) and (unsuccessfully) attempting to find an actual clarinet sub. We still had a decent rehearsal w/o clarinet - and the gig tomorrow is just *supposed* to be background music (but you know how that can be). It's for First Friday - apparently all the shops downtown have special stuff on the first Friday of each month. Of course it is also Good Friday, and I'll miss the Tenebrae (sp?) service which was really cool last year - I played eh on that Dido's Lament w/organ - very moving. Apparently if you sing that piece it's a great joke to stop before you get to "to Rest" - just "When I am Laid". I don't think anyone at this church made that connection.

Anyway, the ww5 will play at a hair salon (???) and we get paid, so I'll be happy to play there! The room is supposed to be very live, so the bassoon is bringing me some carpet to tone down the piercing nasal tone effect. We'll see how it goes.

The bells sounded great by the end of rehearsal last night - hope they keep it together for Sunday, and no one gets sick. Can't wait until it's all over.

Chamber orchestra decided to have an extra rehearsal on Saturday - since we'll be around anyway that should be an excellent thing. I just hope I have a good reed. G has said he will have some ready this week, and I have a couple I'm working on too so hopefully one of them will be magic. Hard to believe by *next* Saturday this will all be over.

No comments: